Cricket St. Thomas & Baddesley Clinton: September 2020
Our 3-night stay at the Warner's hotel at Cricket St. Thomas, near Chard in Somerset, was taken during the Covid-19 pandemic. The
hotel is based on Cricket House which assumed its present form between 1786 and 1807. The house is surrounded by extensive parkland
that includes a valley through which a small stream runs (right). Cricket House was featured as 'Grantleigh Manor' in the TV
series 'To the Manor Born'.
Much of the hotel's facilities are located in undistinguished buildings attached to Cricket House.
the way to Cricket St. Thomas, we visited Wells with its magnificent Cathedral, built in 1176 to 1450
The sculptures on the west front at Wells include standing figures, seated figures, half-length angels and narratives in high relief.
Many of the figures are life-sized or larger. Together they constitute the finest display of medieval carving in England.
Cathedral's medieval clock (left) is located close to the north porch - it is powered by the same mechanism that works the astronomical
clock in the Cathedral's interior
Between 1315 and 1322 the Cathedral's central tower was heightened and topped by a spire, which caused the piers that supported it
to show signs of stress. An unorthodox solution was to insert low arches, topped by inverted arches of similar dimensions, forming
scissors-like structures (below left). These bracing arches are known as 'St Andrew's Cross arches' in reference to the patron saint
of the Cathedral
(Above) the internal dial of the astronomical clock - at the striking of the clock, jousting knights appear above the clock
The stairs to the chapter house (above right) also connect to the Chain Gate which gives access to Vicars' Close
Near to the Cathedral is the Bishop's Palace - complete with gatehouse, moat, and a green for the playing of croquet
Also adjacent to the Cathedral is Vicars' Close (above and left) - it is connected to the Cathedral by the Chain Gate, the
Close is a street planned in the 14th century and claimed to be the oldest purely residential street in Europe